Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Biden Still...Still...STILL Not Telling the Whole Story on Domestic Abuse

I have again written to the Office of the Vice President of the United States to ask Vice President Biden to begin acknowledging facts on the issue of domestic abuse, and to stop pretending that this is solely a problem of men abusing women.

Indeed, more than 250 studies, reviews, and analyses indicate that women initiate (i.e. not acting in self-defense) domestic violence against men approximately as often as the reverse occurs: http://www.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm. Furthermore, the Centers for Disease Control issued a study in 2007 and found that, within heterosexual relationships in which there was non-reciprocal violence (i.e. only one partner was becoming violent), the woman was the violent party in slightly more than 70% of the cases: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2005.079020.


The misinformation on domestic violence needs be cease, so that we can begin to help ALL victims of domestic abuse, big and small, male or female.

Stop Abuse for EVERYONE (www.safe4all.org)

The Domestic Abuse Helpline for Men and Women (www.dahmw.org)

1 comment:

JackBorsch said...

Hi bmmg. This is Jack from Jill Stanek's blog. I am glad you post about stuff like this. It took me a long time to admit my wife was acting abusive because I found the thought of it really embarrassing and I thought I was pretty pathetic. I actually still really dislike thinking about it like that. I feel like I should have been able to brush it off but I couldn't. So I am glad you are bringing attention to it, I think that a lot of guys might be in abusive situations but denying it or actively arguing against the thought of women abusing their husbands/bfs because they don't want to admit it. Thank you.